Southwest Houston is a diverse and vibrant community in the Houston, Texas area. It has a wide range of ethnicities and cultures, making it one of the most colorful neighborhoods in Houston. The neighborhood includes Meyerland, Sharpstown, Gulfton, Westbury, and Braeswood.
Southwest Houston is known for its many attractions, including:
- Bear Creek Pioneers Park. This park is home to the Bear Creek Historic District, which includes a 19th-century cabin and an old cemetery. It's perfect for those who want to take in some Texas history.
- Houston Arboretum & Nature Center. This nature center allows visitors to explore over 155 acres of natural space, including trails, gardens, and bird-watching areas. They also provide educational programs throughout the year.
- Discovery Green Park. Located in Downtown Houston, this park features a variety of entertaining activities like concerts, festivals, and outdoor movie screenings throughout the year. The park is also home to beautiful art installations and sculptures from local artists.
- Cullen Park. This is one of the largest parks in Houston, with over 1,500 acres of space. It's perfect for individuals who love being outdoors and offers many activities like fishing, biking trails, and more.
- Houston Zoo. The Houston Zoo houses a wide variety of animals from around the world, and it's perfect for families looking for some fun during their stay in Southwest Houston. The zoo also has educational programs throughout the year.
Shopping & Dining in Southwest Houston
If you're looking for some great shopping and dining options in Southwest Houston, here are a few of the popular places to check out:
- Gulfton Shopping Center. This shopping center has a variety of stores ranging from apparel to electronics and healthcare shops. It's also home to several restaurants with delicious cuisines.
- Sharpstown Mall. This mall is one of Houston's oldest and offers a wide range of options for shopping and dining. It's perfect for those who love designer brands and high-end fashion labels.
- Braeswood Plaza Shopping Center. Located near the Braeswood neighborhood, this plaza features dozens of retailers, including clothing stores, beauty supply shops, and jewelry stores. It also has plenty of restaurants and cafes, perfect for a bite after a day of shopping.
- Westbury Square. This is among the most popular spots in Southwest Houston for entertainment and dining options. Here you'll find live music performances, art galleries, antique shops, boutiques, and various places to grab food.
House Pricing in Southwest Houston
Southwest Houston is home to some of the most affordable housing in all of Houston and has a wide range of homes for people with different budgets. The median home value here is around $150,000, which makes it an attractive option for first-time buyers who want to get a home without breaking their budget.
The cost of living in Southwest Houston is also very reasonable, and plenty of excellent schools, parks, and other amenities make it attractive for families.