Downtown Houston is the bustling hub of the fourth-largest city in the United States, Houston, and one of the country's most diverse metropolitan areas. Located along Buffalo Bayou, it is a vibrant and eclectic mix of businesses, shopping centers, entertainment venues, world-class dining, green spaces, and cultural attractions within easy reach of residents and visitors. Whether you're looking for a place to work or play, there's always something new happening in this rapidly evolving urban area.
Experience all that Downtown Houston has to offer!
Here are the attractions you can easily visit if you're in Downtown Houston or the surrounding areas:
- The Downtown Aquarium: This is a Houston landmark that features a variety of sea life, including sharks, stingrays, and more. There are also plenty of interactive activities for kids.
- Discovery Green: An urban green space in the heart of downtown offers family-friendly events like art shows, concerts, and festivals throughout the year. You can also take a stroll around the park's lakes and gardens.
- Houston Zoo: This is one of the most popular attractions in Houston, and you can view over 6,000 animals from around the world here. There are also plenty of interactive displays to explore.
- The Museum District: This area is home to 19 museums, galleries, and cultural institutions, making it a perfect destination for art and history enthusiasts. The district also hosts many exciting events throughout the year.
- Theater District: Catch a show at one of this area's many performing arts venues, including the Tony award-winning Alley Theatre.
- Houston Pavilions: This outdoor shopping and entertainment complex features various restaurants, shops, and clubs. It's a great place to go for a night out or to find something unique to buy.
Downtown Houston enjoys mild winters and hot, humid summers. Average summer temperatures range from the mid-80s to the low 90s, with occasional rain showers throughout the season. Winters are generally mild and dry, with average daytime highs in the upper 50s to mid-60s. Spring is a great time to visit Houston for those visiting when temperatures are comfortably warm but not too hot.
Downtown Houston has a good safety record. However, as with any major city, you should be aware of your surroundings and take precautions while exploring the area. It's also recommended that you stick to well-lit areas at night and stay close to busy streets or crowds of people.
Houston is well known for its affordable housing, and Downtown Houston is no exception. Apartments in the area range from around $700 to $2000 a month, depending on size and amenities. It's also possible to find single-family homes in the area, although they tend to be more expensive than apartments. In any case, real estate prices are still relatively low than in other cities of similar size.